[Shop-talk] Plasma cutters

Subject: [Shop-talk] Plasma cutters
From: Gil.Fuqua at cci-ir.com (Gil Fuqua)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 13:24:35 -0600
A plasma cutter is really handy.  They are easy to use with a very short
learning curve.  The metal cut gets hot, but not nearly as hot as
cutting with a gas torch.  I have used a wooden yard stick and other
pieces of wood as a straight edge for plasma cutting and the wood was
only lightly charred.  You would burn down the garage if you tried that
with a gas torch (or at least I would).

The new models with inverters are much lighter than the old ones and
work great.  Try Craigslist for a good used one.

Miller makes a nice rolling nose piece that fits other brands.  It
allows you to pre-position the cutting tip above the metal at a precise
distance and then smoothly drag the tip across the surface being cut.
You can use almost anything for a straight edge against one of the
rollers since it is several inches from the cut line.

Finally, buy one rated at more than you plan to cut.  It will work
better than a smaller one that might take multiple passes and not cut as
smoothly as the larger one.  Since plasma cutters have a variable
output, you can easily fine tune them from cutting very thin material
too very thick, just by changing the control.

Gil
Nashville