Re: [Shop-talk] Regrouting a shower.

To: Obaa <obaa996@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Regrouting a shower.
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 14:48:06 -0700
This is a big 'it depends'.  If the other grout is good, just clean out
a bit beyond the damaged area and give it a shot.  I did this on a
tub/shower several years ago and it worked fine.  I was also able to
feather in the replacement grout a bit by rubbing a wet finger of the
new grout over the old grout.

Remember that transitions from wall to floor/tub/other walls should be
caulked.  My new house has a good amount of floor damage because the
person that renovated the bath and tile shower for the previous owner
didn't believe in caulk.

If you have a bunch of grout to remove, the HF oscillating cutter with a
grout blade works well.  Just plan for the dust and noise - hearing
protection, mask, glasses, and plastic to contain the dust.

Brian