Re: [Shop-talk] Making some shipping crates

To: Shop-Talk <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Making some shipping crates
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 10:59:43 -0400
Thanks for all the suggestions.  It turns out that "ATA case" is the
best search term.  I am actually transporting 14-liter tins (about
9x9x14") of good olive oil back from a trip from Greece, and we end
up doing this every year.  In the past, the guy who sold the tins
would nail together a single-use packing crate from random bits of
lumber.  (If you watch the baggage carousel in JFK for a flight from
Greece, you will usually see a couple of these boxes going by.)

Doug

>> Douglas Braun wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Do you know those study custom made boxes that musicians,
>>> photographers, etc. use to transport equipment in checked luggage?
>>> I need to make a reasonable imitation of those, about 10" x 10" x 15".
>>> I imagine they are made from plywood, with
>>> various bumpers, guards, hinges, latches, etc.  Does anybody know a
>>> good source for the hardware bits,
>>> or for plans to make one?  Places like Rockler and McMaster hav stuff
>>> that might do, bu tnone of it looks like the stuff the
>>> "real" boxes are mode from.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Doug

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums