Re: [Shop-talk] battery operated soldering irons

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] battery operated soldering irons
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 14:30:47 -0400
On 6/18/2010 1:28 PM, john niolon wrote:
> any suggestions ?? recommendations ??   had to do some phone line soldering
> out in the field today and wondered if this little battery jobs would work.
> better than 200' of extension cord and my old Weller pencil iron...

I've used the Wahl Iso-Tip ones (link below) for nearly 30 years now, and
they're great for small electronics or car stereo work.  The tips are rather
fragile and eventually their ceramic innards start to crumble out and they
don't conduct heat well.  They're only equivalent to a 20W-ish plug-in iron,
and outdoors the temp and breeze can sap some heat too so don't expect to do
big stuff.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=370-220

There are butane ones that might offer more heat but I've not used them.

-Wayne

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums