Re: [Shop-talk] Brake system bleeders

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Brake system bleeders
From: Todd Walke <racertod@racertodd.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 12:40:10 -0700
Ronnie wrote:
>Has anyone used any of the reverse flow bleeder system like the ones
>from Phoenix Systems that Stacy David talks about on his show?
>
>They make several models including a fairly inexpensive unit for under
>$100. I wouldn't mind spending that much or a bit more, if they work
>well of course. It would make taking care of the brakes on our "fleet"
>a lot easier.

         I've never liked the whole reverse flow bleed concept.  I don't
want to push the dirty fluid in the caliper back up into the master
cylinder.  Especially on an ABS-equipped car.  Those ABS pumps and valves
aren't tolerant of contamination.  I prefer pushing clean fluid through the
master and out to the calipers.
         I use a Motive Power Bleeder (www.motiveproducts.com) on my Golf
and GTI (non-ABS) and my TDI (ABS) with no issues.  After R&Ring the ABS
pump and master on the TDI I was able to bleed the system just fine.  You
can get a Motive with one adapter for $60 or so, $100 will get you several
adapters to fit different vehicles.
         The Motive also makes it easy to flush the system, something I do
every two years.  I put two quarts of fluid in the bleeder.  My catch
container is marked in 1/2 quart increments.  I then put 1/2 quart through
each caliper, ensuring I've flushed out the old fluid and replaced it with new.

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 270,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       234,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a new
home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums