Re: [Shop-talk] Air solenoid valve

To: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air solenoid valve
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 23:12:28 -0500
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:31 PM, David C. <cavanadd@verizon.net> wrote:

> Randall wrote:
>
>> Another thought might be to wire it in through the light switch, along
>> with
>> a contactor to enable the compressor.  I've got the contactor installed,
>> but
>> haven't run the line to the garage switches yet.
>>

>        Good idea.  I'll have to think about that, too.
>

>> Anyone know why this valve
>> http://www.mcmaster.com/#solenoid-valves/=61ozha
>> wouldn't be suitable?
>>

>        I missed those when I looked at the MMC catalog.  Sometimes the
> catalog has so much stuff in it you miss what you're looking for.  It looks
> like one of them should work, assuming the coil is up to being energized for
> 8-10 hours at a time.  The "low amp draw" model would probably heat up the
> least, at least in theory.

McMaster doesn't list it, but solenoid valves (and solenoids in general)
have a duty rating.  A rating of "continuous duty" means they can have the
coil energized continuously.  I wouldn't be surprised if all of the ones
McMaster sells are so rated (lots of industrial equipment has normally
closed valves that energized when the machine is on; power failure needs to
close them.), but I'd inquire.  I'd also see if I could find a latching one;
there's no need to power the coil constantly.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com