[Shop-talk] Air solenoid valve

To: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Air solenoid valve
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 23:06:43 -0800
I am thinking of putting an air solenoid valve in my compressor tank
outlet.  I already have a manual valve I open when I go out to the shop,
and (usually) close when I leave.  I valve the tank off because various
QD fittings on the piping leak a little bit and the compressor will
cycle every couple of hours if I don't valve off the outlet.
Occasionally I forget to close the valve and then after a couple of days
I will be reminded by either hearing the compressor or, more often, by
the quick flicker of the lights when the compressor starts.

I thought if I put a 110 volt solenoid in the outlet, I could put a
spring wound line voltage timer in the circuit and whenever I go out in
the shop, I would give the timer a twist which would open the valve for
the timer duration.  I think I can get one that is good for eight hours.

Anyone got a source for a reasonably priced 1/2" or 3/4" NPT 110 volt
solenoid valve?  MCC was not much help.

Would an irrigation valve work?  It worked fine in the spud gun....

thanks
Dave