Re: [Shop-talk] Socket organizers?

To: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Socket organizers?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 18:10:14 -0500
At 12:01 PM 2/5/2010, Jim Franklin wrote:

 >In the ongoing quest to organize the toolboxes, I'm looking for socket
 >organizers. The ones with a pre-determined number of 1/4", 3/8" etc posts
 >don't work since I have lots of "extra" sockets, like 3 spark plug sockets,
 >etc.  I also don't like having to wrestle a socket off a snug post
with greasy
 >hands.

Jim,

I just went through the same thing.  I had some of the Sears (Craftsman) metal
bars with the metal clips.  I do sort of like them as I can grab a
stick and have
most of my SAEs or Metric or Impact (SAE or Metric) etc sockets.  But it was
a pain trying to get the sockets on and off the sticks.

I saw some plastic ones at an auto parts store which I liked as they came in
3 different colors - 1 for Metric, 1 for SAE, and 1 for what
ever.  But I couldn't
find all the sizes (1/4, 3/8s, and 1/2" drive).

Then I was a Sears looking for something.  I noticed they had the plastic bars
with plastic square and ball bearing detents.  I purchased a set of
them.  I really
like them a lot better than the metal ones.  The only thing I don't
like is that I
can't get different colors so I can easily identify my SAE and Metric sizes.
I do keep the SAEs on the left side of the drawer, and the Metrics on
the right,
but I'd still like the sticks color coded.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                        65 Rambler Classic