Re: [Shop-talk] Lighting

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lighting
From: "Lee Daniels" <lee@automate-it.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 21:31:05 -0600 (CST)
Ditto to pretty much what others have said for T8 lighting. Last year I put in
two rows of 6 fixtures (two bulbs each); building is just a deep 3-car garage
with another half-car width of work space. Wow, this is a lot of light. I got
the 12 fixtures and 24 bulbs plus a few supplies for about $250. Nothing
fancy.

It doesn't often get below freezing here just north of Houston, but we had a
few evenings into the 20's a couple of weeks ago. I could notice a very slight
decrease in output at those temps, but after a few minutes I think they came
up to full output (or else my old eyes adjusted).

The other option, if you're in much colder temps, is to go with the "HO" (high
output) bulbs and fixtures. The bulbs and fixtures are a lot more expensive,
though. But they're made for use in walk-in freezers, etc., and the light
output is pretty impressive.

 - Lee