Re: [Shop-talk] Drop-in tub install question

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Drop-in tub install question
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 13:25:26 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, Jim Franklin wrote:
>>  The part I don't understand is why they emphasize not letting the tub's
>> bottom contact the floor.  It's an American Standard Americast tub (
>> Americast is a "unique three-layer construction consisting of a smooth
>> porcelain-enamel finish bound to high-quality alloy that is backed by an
>> injection-molded structure" ).
>
> My guess would be the alloy will expand enough that there'd be stress on the
> screws at the rim if there was nowhere for the expansion to go.

    Isn't it pretty unlikely that triple-layer construction described
above can expand that much without a) cracking the porcelain finish or b)
becoming unbonded?  Wouldn't all three materials have to expand at the
same rate?

> The nails in stringers is plenty of support. It's no different than the nails
> that support the floor joists in the rim joist or girders. *You* could stand
> on a stringer supported with one 10d nail. Over 5' you'll have at least 4
> doubly-nailed connections. It'll be fine.

    I'm not that worried about the strength, it just seems like the wrong
way to go.  Hanging a tub?  Why?

--
  David Hillman