Re: [Shop-talk] Mustan oil level

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mustan oil level
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 19:00:07 -0500
On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 2:52 PM, Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:

> Oops ... shouldn't write a message in haste when I'm late for a meeting. I
> only add HALF a qt. at 2.5-3K miles and, yes, I know hole is spelled 'hole,'
> not 'whole.' I'm not unhappy with using a qt. every 6K miles; I've read the
> oil is likely being sucked in through the PCV valve (an air/oil separator
> would help, but don't know if it's worth it). Makes sense re: the
> crosshatched section (though that doesn't extend from the bottom to the top
> hole).
>
> Anyway, my question is why does Ford not want owners adding any oil unless
> the level is below the bottom hole--why shouldn't I keep the oil topped up?

the 4.6 l engine is notorious for oil level problems.  It's got drain down
problems, I think.   So it's quite possible you've got a whole bunch of oil
in upper oil galleries, that hasn't yet made it to the crank case.  So they
don't want you to stop to get fuel, check the oil, see you're half way
between the lines, and add a quart.  If you were really half a quart low,
you'd now be half a quart too full, which is probably within the tolerance,
but if there's half a quart working its way back to the pan, you're a whole
quart over, which is probably too much.  It's particularly bad on the 4.6,
because in 2001 or so, Ford decided that a five quart fill wasn't enough oil
(There were oil starvation problems under hard running conditions.), and
raised the fill to six quarts.  the only change the engine got was a new
dipstick.  (It's possible there's a new oil pan since then; I don't even try
to keep up.)

If you're checking the oil after the car has sat on level ground overnight,
and you want to add oil, I don't see a problem, as long as you add it a
little at a time.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com