Re: [Shop-talk] Mustan oil level

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>, Shop Talk List
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mustan oil level
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 15:42:16 -0500
Bob Spidell wrote:
> Now, I understand why running too low is bad, and why running too high is
>bad, but why doesn't Ford want me topping off the oil to keep it at 'full?'
>Any ideas? The only think I can think of is they really don't want
>overfilling, but I know better than to do that.

I can't imagine it hurting anything under ideal conditions.  But I can
think of a few things they're trying to dissuade:

* incorrectly gauging the level by not allowing adequate time for the
oil to drain to the sump;  eg:  during a gas station fill up.
* ...which could also cause you to top-off with whatever oil is at hand,
   possibly wrong weight, different brand / additive formulation, etc.
* Contaminating the oil by opening the filler cap unnecessarily (most
new cars have stupid plastic engine covers, most of which are BAD about
trapping dirt and grit right around the filler.)

> As far as I can tell, the crosshatch pattern serves no purpose other than,
>maybe, keeping the oil from running off the dipstick.

Yeah, my best guess is it's just to make the oil cling more for ease and
accuracy of gauging the level.

-Wayne