[Shop-talk] Mustan oil level

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Mustan oil level
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 18:00:37 +0000 (UTC)
Listers,

I'm trying to gauge the oil consumption on my 2008 Mustang Bullitt (looks like
about 1qt./6K miles). Anyway, at 2.5-3K miles I'm usually down half a qt., so I
add a qt. The dipstick has two holes--min and max--and a cross-hatched pattern
in between with no markings. So, I go to the owner's manual and read that, as
long as the oil is above the bottom whole DO NOT ADD OIL (this is in bold all
caps). Now, I understand why running too low is bad, and why running too high
is bad, but why doesn't Ford want me topping off the oil to keep it at 'full?'
Any ideas? The only think I can think of is they really don't want overfilling,
but I know better than to do that.

As far as I can tell, the crosshatch pattern serves no purpose other than,
maybe, keeping the oil from running off the dipstick.

bs