Re: [Shop-talk] GPS Systems

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] GPS Systems
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 10:23:54 -0600
Having had a hand-me-down Garmin 60C for a year and a half, I thought it was
just my old model GPS causing the same problems others note with their
far-newer Garmins.  Why are they supposed to be the best ??  A limo service
owner showed me his cheap MIO a year or two back that was far better than my
Garmin.  It was impressive, and he said map downloads were free.  All his
limos use them.

I looked at the Motorola Droid phone when Verizon got it a month or so ago,
and besieds being an iPhone-killer, it looks like a far better GPS option.
Downside is that the mandatory data service (which includes full Internet
and e-mail) does run $30 a month, but iPhone and Blackberry users already
pay this kind of fee anyway.  Having not only real GPS but also immediate
access to Google maps, Google Streetview, and Google Earth, is lots more
useful that just a GPS with maps that were updated some time in the last
year.

I think it's a matter of time before this type of phone/computer/GPS takes
over much of the standalone GPS market.  Garmin must see this coming, as
they've been trying to sell Garmin phones for a while now.

Karl