Re: [Shop-talk] Tirerack

To: 57healey@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tirerack
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 12:06:51 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 3 Aug 2009, 57healey@gmail.com wrote:
> What are your experiences with Tirerack?  I have to replace the tires
> on my Chrysler Aspen and those 18Ks can get pricey.

    There's no better place to buy tires, as long as you can either handle
the mounting yourself, or have a local place that'll mount tires you bring
'em.  I've bought more sets of tires than I can count from them, most
recently a set of Yokohamas for my wife's Saab a couple weeks ago, but
before that many sets for various racecars and other cars.  It's actually
a little disturbing how fast they arrive here in Illinois... I've ordered
in the afternoon and had the tires on my doorstep the following morning.

    The selection is far better than anything you're liable to find at a
local shop, and the prices will be cheap enough to make it worthwhile to
cart your own tires in, usually.  That said, if you don't really care what
tires you buy as long as they're round and black, you might as well keep
the guys in the shop happy and buy directly from them.  Some really don't
like mounting tires bought elsewhere... some don't mind.

--
  David Hillman