Re: [Shop-talk] pool cooler

To: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] pool cooler
From: "shochschild@att.net" <shochschild@att.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 19:50:11 -0500
Wow, so if I piped a radiator into the system and pumped through it at
night, it would cool?  Great, this is just the kind of thing I would
like to try.

Givens:  Say it is 100 during the day, and drops to 80 at night.  My
pool is about 92 right now and getting warmer daily.  If I could get it
down to 85 it would be well worth it.

I have at least two car radiators in the junk pile, rather, I meant to
say, in inventory.
How much radiator surface?  Would 4 be twice as effective as 2?  Should
I spray them black?
Do I need to run a fan through them; in other words how important is air
flow to the heat transfer?

If I pipe them into the return from the filter system, then I wouldn't
have to even worry about a pump -- is there a cheap and easy
thermostatic control to switch a valve whenever ambient < pool temp?

I envision a simple array of car radiators on a frame with radiator
tubing connecting them in parallel, set up as a separate loop back under
the trees where the filter, pump, and chlorinator are.

If this works, it will be a very popular Instructable.  Everyone wants
their pool cooler around here...

Thanks!

P.S. For the OP, yes, a simple pool cover will make your pool warm enuff
for anyone.  They are a pain unless you get an automatic as recommended,
or even just a spool that you turn the crank on manually.