Re: [Shop-talk] solar pool heater

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] solar pool heater
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:26:59 -0700
> It seems to me that it should work. If I am missing something here, PLEASE
> let me know. Thanks in advance guys.

Doug, I live just a few miles away from you, and have a similar sized
in-ground pool.  My experience has been that just a simple "bubble wrap"
type insulated cover on the pool will quickly bring the water temperature up
warmer than I care for; even in cooler (but sunny) weather.  It also blocks
a great deal of the evaporation that requires make-up water, and occasional
water discard just to keep the hardness down.

Unfortunately my pool shape & location make an automatic cover impractical;
but if you can manage one, IMO it's by far the best route to solar heating.
Should help reduce chemical consumption, too (although I did have to keep
the chlorine level somewhat higher to hold down on algae growth in the
bathwater).

Randall