Re: [Shop-talk] New Garage

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] New Garage
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 07:25:06 -0400
At 06:25 PM 6/5/2009, eric@megageek.com wrote:

 >Well, it's true,  you can never make a shop big enough!
 >
 >I just got back from Iraq and I want to add another storage space to my
 >property.

Moose,

                                  W E L C O M E    B A C K ! ! ! !

Thanks for your service!!!

 >Another question, should I pave the floor or leave it dirt?

That depends on your area.   I put up a 10'w x 12'l shed last year to
store lawn
mowers, bikes, and car parts in.  Unfortunately, that part of the
yard has a tendence to flood in heavy rains.  So I outlined the
perimeter with 2 layers of
garden timbers.  Drilled and drove some very large nails spikes to hold the 2nd
layer of timber to the 1st.  Then drilled and drove some 2' long
rebar through to
anchor the timbers to the ground and keep them from moving.  I filled the sand
box with about 4" of crush and run, then layed a cinder block
floor.  So the top
of the floor is some 8" above the ground level.  The reason for the
cinder block
was 2 fold, it cost a little less than a concert slab, plus if I pour
a slab base I'd
have to have gotten a building permitt.

If you don't mind mud in your shelter, than don't worry.  But I think
it will hold
moisture a lot longer.

A neighbor had a tent like what you are looking at to store his
boat.  He poured
a slab in his back yard then set the ten over the slab.  He also keep
the bottom
of the tent open about 3" to 6" for ventilation and to help keep it dry inside.

John

is some t

>TIA!
>
>(It's great to be back!)
>
>Moose
>Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.
>
>http://www.team.net/archive

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                        65 Rambler Classic