Re: [Shop-talk] Auto gas line repair

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Auto gas line repair
From: Richard Beels <rbeels@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 03:41:10 -0500
I used to be a quattro guy and Audi attached their hard fuel lines
with these big rubberized clamps that collected moisture and
routinely rotted away the fuel lines at year 15 or so for us lucky
ones in the northern climes.  Needless to say, I've replaced a few....

Metal hard line, bent with a tubing bender to match up as best you
can.  Flare the ends, not to use a fitting but to give the
FUEL-INJECTOR-RUBBER-REINFORCED fuel line a "barb".  Double clamp the
rubber fuel lines that you use to connect in the replacement line.  I
painted the hardline with POR 15 where the clamps were but this was
probably overkill - didn't plan on owning the car for another 15
years but never wanted to re-replace the lines either...  :-o

Nowadays, I may use plastic lines if the FLAPS had that in stock...

At 1/9/2009 at 19:49, Shakespearean monkeys danced on Bill
Gingerich's keyboard and said:
>My '93 Escort wagon has developed a gas leak in the line that runs from the
>tank to the engine.  I've noticed a gas smell around the car the last few
>days, and there was small puddle under the drivers' seat this morning.  I
>haven't put the car up of the jack stands yet, so I don't know the exact
>setup.  I'm assuming it is a metal line.  My question is this: what are my
>options to repair it?  Can I cut out the leaking section and use rubber fuel
>injection hose to replace it?  Or should I be using metal tubing?  If metal,
>what types of fittings are best?  Are standard compression fittings OK?
>

>The other question is if the line is leaking at that one spot, should I
>replace the whole line from tank to engine just because the rest might start
>leaking too?  I don't want to risk blowing myself up (no, I don't smoke) but
>I'm also financially challenged right now, so unnecessary expenses would
>like to be avoided.

Cheers!