Re: [Shop-talk] Engine swaps; 350 SBC donor cars.

To: don@napanet.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Engine swaps; 350 SBC donor cars.
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 21:09:24 -0800
> How does this law apply to crate motors or purpose built
> engines that did not come from any "donor" car?

It gets complicated.  A "new" engine would need to meet current emission
standards for it's date of manufacture.  But a replacement for the same
engine already in the car would only need to meet the standards already
applied to the car.  So, at least as I understand it, you could start by
swapping in a 60's vintage SBC from the junk yard, get the swap approved,
then drop in a crate motor of the same specifications and be legal.  The
tricky part is what counts as a "replacement".

Last time I heard of someone getting in trouble for an illegal engine swap,
they only paid a fine of $10,000 and of course were not allowed to register
the car with the swapped engine.  But that was a few years ago, so the fines
may have gone up.  And I have no doubt it depends on circumstances, etc.

Randall