Re: [Shop-talk] single vs. dual stage compressors

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] single vs. dual stage compressors
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 07:38:00 -0600
I can't address the meaning of the Chinese website's specs.  My electric die
grinder has at least the power of most air ones, and it uses a few amps at
110 volts.  So are you telling us that this wonderful piece of Chinese
technology takes the equivalent of over 25 amps at 220 volts ?

I don't want to belabor the point further, and I bet most of the list
doesn't either.  For anyone interested, there are lots of good explanatinois
on the Internet.  Here's oone, and it includes not only an explanation of
CFM and the various misconceptions, but it also goes into horsepower.  It
includes an example of evealuating a Chinese brand's claimed performance vs
reality.

http://www.truetex.com/aircompressors.htm

To the CFM point, I suggest the fifth paragraph in the "example" section:

"When a compressor pumps one "CFM" (cubic foot per minute), that means the
intake port inhaled one cubic foot of "free air" (air at atmospheric
pressure). (Note: A CFM does not mean in any sense the compressed volume.)
So the unit really measures the mass of air flowing per minute, not volume.
Some people labor under a stubborn misundertanding that these units refer to
the flow of compressed volume (as opposed to free air volume), but this is
flatly wrong."

Back when I worked in the paint spray industry, we assembled and sold the
range of Quincy compressors (in addition to a few little diaphragm ones for
airbrushes, etc.).  That was the real Quincy, not whatever the name has
become today after being sold.

We always preferred the term "free air", as it's easiest to understand.
SCFM is sort of a standard, but everyone who uses it tends to mean something
different.  In the end, it means free air under atmospheric pressure and
normal temperature and humidity.

Karl