Re: [Shop-talk] single vs. dual stage compressors

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] single vs. dual stage compressors
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 10:12:45 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008, Karl Vacek wrote:
> I can't address the meaning of the Chinese website's specs.  My electric
> die grinder has at least the power of most air ones, and it uses a few
> amps at 110 volts.  So are you telling us that this wonderful piece of
> Chinese technology takes the equivalent of over 25 amps at 220 volts ?
>
> I don't want to belabor the point further, and I bet most of the list
> doesn't either.  For anyone interested, there are lots of good
> explanatinois on the Internet.  Here's oone, and it includes not only an
> explanation of CFM and the various misconceptions, but it also goes into
> horsepower.  It includes an example of evealuating a Chinese brand's
> claimed performance vs reality.
>
> http://www.truetex.com/aircompressors.htm

I'm interested.  I'll check out that link in a minute, but what I'd really
like to see is just what I need to have in terms of compressor
specifications that will run my 3" cutoff (looks like a die grinder)
continuously.  There are two on HF's website that look like it... One is
rated at 5 cfm @ 90 psi and the other is rated at 17 scfm @ 90 psi...

Ditto a sand blasting cabinet (which TP tools says takes between 10 and 15
cfm at 80 psi).

Again, this is all so I can decide if I should buy a significantly cheaper
single stage compressor that says it does 18.5 cfm @ 100 psi, 150 psi max,
vs. a two stage that says it does 19.1 cfm @ 125 psi, 175 psi max.

I don't want to waste money, but I also don't want to buy something that
I'll wish I hadn't cheaped out on.

Thanks!

Mark