Re: [Shop-talk] replacing Ridge Board in garage

To: "Dan and Jenny Fest (Coles Nurseries Inc)"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] replacing Ridge Board in garage
From: Pat <Pat@HorneSystemsTx.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 07:32:06 -0600
Dan,

I don't know where you are located, so I don't know about snow or wind
load in your area, but here in Texas where we get wind, but not much
snow, we do the following.

If there is sheathing over the rafters I wouldn't worry about a cracked
ridge board. In this type of roof its main job is to hold the rafters in
place until the sheathing goes on.

If you just have purlins on top of the rafters, I'd suggest cutting
blocks that will fit between the rafters and nail them to each side of
the ridge board, including into the rafters. Again, the ridge board is
there to hold the rafters spaced as needed until other structural wood
is nailed to the rafters.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Dan and Jenny Fest (Coles Nurseries Inc):

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems (512) 797-7501
5026 FM 2001 Lockhart, TX 78644-4443