Re: [Shop-talk] single vs. dual stage compressors

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] single vs. dual stage compressors
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 22:23:42 -0600
Randall -

That's not quite right.  The die grinder needs its air supply at 90 PSI, but
in a minute it will exhaust 4 CFM of free air, not 4 CFM of 90 PSI air or 28
CFM of free air.  The drop in pressure across the tool is from the expansion
of the compressed air, which gives off its energy as work in the tool, also
cooling as it expands.

Another example:  A typical siphon spray gun like a Binks 7 gun runs about 7
CFM, typically at anywhere from 40 to 60 PSI, maybe higher or lower than
that depending on what you 're spraying.  A real 2-HP compressor will run it
continuously till you run out of paint or can't hold the gun any longer.  A
2-HP compressor will go on and off while you're spraying.

Karl