[Shop-talk] Quick question on garage floors and garage lifts

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Quick question on garage floors and garage lifts
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:39:47 -0500
My garage was designed with high walls and a cathedral ceiling to one day
accommodate a home lift system.  I don't need one just yet, but am always
keeping my eyes open for a bargain that would make me pull the trigger faster.
There is an auto shop closing about a mile from my house and they are selling
their 10,000 lb commercial lift.  It is far more than I will ever need, but
they are currently asking $1000 and need it gone by tomorrow, so they would
probably take less.  However, I just checked the architectural plans on my
garage floor and here is what it says about the floor:

4" concrete slab with 6 x 6 x W1.4 x W1.4 W.W.M. on gravel fill as required.

I don't understand anything after "slab", but this doesn't seem like much to
me.  Should I forgo the commercial lift at any price?  Will I be ok with a
lighter weight one?  It only needs to be able to lift and store a Sunbeam
Alpine, so 10,000 lbs is way overkill.

Thanks.