Re: [Shop-talk] Quick question on garage floors and garage lifts

To: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Quick question on garage floors and garage lifts
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:49:26 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Jim Stone wrote:
> My garage was designed with high walls and a cathedral ceiling to one
> day accommodate a home lift system.  I don't need one just yet, but am
> always keeping my eyes open for a bargain that would make me pull the
> trigger faster. There is an auto shop closing about a mile from my house
> and they are selling their 10,000 lb commercial lift.  It is far more
> than I will ever need, but they are currently asking $1000 and need it
> gone by tomorrow, so they would probably take less.  However, I just
> checked the architectural plans on my garage floor and here is what it
> says about the floor:
>
> 4" concrete slab with 6 x 6 x W1.4 x W1.4 W.W.M. on gravel fill as required.
>
> I don't understand anything after "slab", but this doesn't seem like
> much to me.  Should I forgo the commercial lift at any price?  Will I be
> ok with a lighter weight one?  It only needs to be able to lift and
> store a Sunbeam Alpine, so 10,000 lbs is way overkill.

I am very much not an expert.

You can, assuming you can get the manufacturer of the lift, probably get
their floor specs off their website or call them to get them.

IIRC, most of the ones I've seen for a 2 post lift are 6" concrete, with
some psi rating (not sure if that rating is higher than a "normal" garage
floor).

That doesn't mean you can't do it... You just might need to have a section
of the floor cut out and repoured.  This isn't all that huge a deal.

Also, I think the requirements for any two post lift will be similar... I
don't think a commercial 2 post will be any different than a lighter duty
2 post, given the same weight on the lift itself (i.e. the 10k lb rating
may dictate a better floor, but unless you have 10k on it, the floor
rating for the 7k light duty version will work).

Again, not an expert.  And if it was me, I'd also be pretty concerned
about a 4" floor with a 2 post lift.

Mark