Re: [Shop-talk] (yet another) air compressor question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] (yet another) air compressor question
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 11:16:28 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, Marcus Pless wrote:
> I'm a bit skeptical of most of the current "oil less"
> compressors and have been looking for something with a more
> traditional motor/belt/compressor setup, with limited success.
> Can anyone recommend the current Craftsman/Lowes/Home Depot
> "oil less" compressors?

I've had an oil-less craftsman compressor for something like 15 years.  I
keep waiting for it to die so I have a better excuse to get one that will
keep up with sandblasting & cutoffs & such.

I wouldn't worry about the oilless compressors for even "moderately
active" enthusiast duty, if they put out enough air for your needs.

> I'm even considering something cheap from Harbor Freight until I can
> figure out what my actual needs are goind to be.

I don't think this would be a bad option, frankly.  If you get it at a
price where if it fails in a year it won't bother you, the only surprise
you can get is a pleasent one.

And its not like the other compressors aren't made in china too (he said
cynically, with no real knowledge).

Mark