Re: [Shop-talk] Levels

To: shop-talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Levels
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 21:34:48 -0400
On Sep 11, 2008, at 6:41 PM, Brian Warrick wrote:

> I need to build some shelves in my garage to store stuff.  You know
> how
> it is, never enough storage!!!  Anyway, I am not much of a carpenter
> so
> I do not have a level.  I am looking for one in the 5-6' long range.
> What do I look for in a level?  What type of construction/material?
> Brand?  Am I over thinking the problem, just go get one and get
> started
> already?

In addition to the previous posts, you could get some mason's twine
and a line level. The level hooks onto the taut twine. This is used
for laying out rows of bricks. The setup might get in your way.

I bought this for doing tile in a bathroom:

http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID=6463

Overkill, but very cool :-)

> Also, any source for plans?  I am looking to build some
> substantial shelves to support upwards of 50-75 lb/ft.

If you don't need more than a foot of depth, the metal brackets that
hook into vertical rails are fine. For 2' depth you need some front
support on the shelves. Home Depot sells plastic stackable shelving
that's about $50 for a 2' x 4' and takes 10 minutes to assemble. They
will sag over time if you put engines on them. The metal Gorilla Racks
will hold a few engines apiece but are pricy. Lots of 2x4 and plywood
plans out there on the 'net, and I bet Norm Abrams has one or two sets
of plans on the The New Yankee Workshop page if you really want to go
nuts.

jim