Re: [Shop-talk] Levels

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Levels
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 15:12:47 -0400
At 08:55 AM 9/12/2008, Brian Warrick wrote:

 >I had thought of some of the pre-fab kits, but a buddy of mine gave me
 >three pieces of particle board shelving 2' wide by 8' long.  I have some
 >assorted 2x4's sitting around, so I am mostly set for materials.  Plus,
 >I would like the experience, even with something so simple.

Brian,

I usually make my shelving out of 1/2 - 3/4" plywood.  I start with a
full sheet
then cut it lengthwise to for 2 long shelves or cut it into quarters to make 4
2' x 4' shelves, and 2x4s.  I've hung them from the ceiling in my garage, made
shelving in my attic, a work bench for the garage, and free standing shelves
for my shed.  However, this time, I was at Costco about 2 mo. ago and they
have some very nice heavy duty shelves for about $60.  The stand about 5'
tall, have 4 shelves, and each shelf can hold somthing rediculious like 500#s.
I use the metal 2x4 hangers to hold things together.  I make a frame out of
2x4s that the 2' wide by 4' or  8' long sheets of plywood will fit
on.  Then I usually
put 2x4s as legs on the outside of the 2x4 frame.

I got 2 sets of them.  I was out of plywood and 2x4s so a rough guesstimate
and the shelves cost me something like 50% more that building it myself, and
were asssembled quicker than making my own.

My attic has roof supports that tie the rafters for the roof to the
joists for the
ceiling on the 1st floor (a ranch style).  So these roof supports
sort of form a V.
I cut 2x4s, to 4' length.  Then set them against the roof supports until the
2x4s are flush with each end of the V.  I screw them in place with 3 dry wall
screws at each end.  Lay the plywood decking in place, and voloa!  Tons of
additional storage space in the attic!

I did find that I needed to put stringers under the plywood to keep
the deck from
warpping and being able to slide down between the supports.  For the stringes
I used 2x4s with the 2x4 metal hangers.

If anyone want to see pictures, email me privately, and I'll send you some
pictures of what I did.  A picture is worth 1000 words. :)

John
Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                        65 Rambler Classic