Re: [Shop-talk] Levels

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Levels
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:41:14 -0700
> Anyway, I am not
> much of a carpenter so I do not have a level.  I am looking
> for one in the 5-6' long range.

I'm wondering why you want such a long one to start with.  The more usual 3'
level is adequate for most DIY type projects.

> Am I over thinking the problem, just go get one and
> get started already?

IMO, yes.  Just pick up an inexpensive aluminum level and get on with it.

>  Also, any source for plans?  I am
> looking to build some substantial shelves to support upwards
> of 50-75 lb/ft.

Just a thought, you might want to look at what's available pre-fab.  I got a
kit from Home Depot that sounds like it might meet your needs.  The shelves
are just 5/8" pulpboard, but they are supported by stout steel on all 4
sides (and could be easily replaced with 3/4" OSB if desired).  I've had
some cylinder heads stacked on a shelf for over a year now, and it hasn't
sagged at all.

This looks like the same thing, but mine could be assembled as two 3' high
sections instead of one 6' high.
http://tinyurl.com/4lkfkh

Randall