Re: [Shop-talk] 6 volts

To: "'shoptalk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 6 volts
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 10:49:31 -0700
> My charger will do 6V , but has a "safety" feature that wont let it
> charge if it "sees" no voltage at the connectors.

What about hooking up the charger, then giving the battery just a brief shot
of 12v from the cables?  Seems like that should get your charger going.

> alternatively, can I jump the starter with 12v without fritzing the
> rest of the electrical system?

I saw my Dad do this many times to his 30 Packard.  Started the car just
fine with no damage, but the jumper cables got seriously hot.  Don't leave
them connected any longer than absolutely necessary (and I'd suggest gloves
when snatching them off).

Randall