Re: [Shop-talk] 6 volts

To: "shoptalk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, "Skip Albright"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 6 volts
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 11:26:24 -0500
Note that this does not condone the practice. It simply represents my
experience.

When growing up we had a '40 Ford flathead v8 dump truck that we would use
for snow removal. When it would not start on the 6 volt system - often in
the winter - we would disconnect one of the 6 volt battery cables and jump
it with a 12 volt battery. The starter would spin - I believe the technical
term is VERY FAST - and there was plenty of spark so it started very
quickly. Once started we would quickly move the battery cable back to the 6
volt system.

We eventually got a snow blower but the truck was still running when it was
replaced.

Arvid