Re: [Shop-talk] OT: Windows Vista

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] OT: Windows Vista
From: PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:33:51 -0400
AVG has consistently gotten high marks as a free AV program.

In addition to buying AV, make sure it is always running and always updating.
Renew it every year, as researchers have found that people assume that b/c AV
is running, they're safe, but aren't aware that keeping up to date virus
definitions is just as important.

There has been alot of noise in the IT security field that AV is no longer
effective, but I'd have to disagree slightly.  Sure, it is relatively easy now
to bypass AV, and other security layers at the enterprise level should
compensate for this, but our organization's AV (Symantec) has always been the
first sign that something was amiss, though it doesn't always prevent an
attack, it does do a decent job detecting it, so there is no excuse not to run
it.

If you have teenagers, I would consider quarantining them on another computer,
separate from one you might use for banking, online shopping, or other
senstive work.  Too many viruses I've found on home computers usually point
back to something the teenage kid was doing.  They do their social networking
over there, you do your banking/shopping over here.  Unless your teenagers
have credit cards, are plugging in their SSNs somewhere, or managing their
wealth (hah) online, their is much less to worry about.

I've personally investigated many computer compromises that were launched from
benign websites... the local flowershop's website, school, etc.  Attackers are
using automated tools to attack and compromise any website they can, infecting
it with scripts that will then attack your computer when you visit the site.
The greater number of sites they infect, the greater chance of spreading their
malware.  Running a browser like Firefox with the NoScript addon will reduce
the number of scripts running each time you load a page.

-PJ