Re: [Shop-talk] OT: Windows Vista

To: <price@advocateadvisors.com>, <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] OT: Windows Vista
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 01:16:53 -0700
Thanks for your comments.  I hadn't intended to start an XT vs Vista
conflagration, although I'm not surprised that it happened.

I have been using personal computers since '82 or '83 when I got my
first PC clone, which also ran CPM.  I was pretty good with DOS, but as
the operating systems got more complicated and my interests shifted,
the computer became just another appliance.

Tony, your comments about the cost and horsepower to run Vista are well
taken.  Vista is probably a pretty good OS and from what I understand
since SP1 has been released it works pretty well, but I do understand
that it needs at least 1 gig, preferably 2, to work well.  However, I'm
probably not going to get a Vista machine.

I'm replacing my present machine because it is over five years old, and
has been rebuilt at least once in that time.  It's starting to get
cranky; the HDD is making occasional noises, the power supply is noisy,
and occasionally, weird things happen.   Otherwise, for my needs, an XT
machine with half a gig works fine for me.  A new loss leader machine,
with a full gig, a bigger HDD and a working DVD will be an upgrade for
me, even if it's still running XT.

Thanks again for the input.