Re: [Shop-talk] OT: Windows Vista

To: "'David C.'" <cavanadd@verizon.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] OT: Windows Vista
From: "Tony Vaccaro" <tvacc@lotusowners.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 01:00:13 -0400
I don't know what you do for a living....but I am sure you will get this
analogy. If you buy this unit...it is like you are a doctor and want to
operate with a scissors and a sewing kit.....

Trying to tow a  5000 pound trailer with a VW Bus.....

Trying to fly with some silly feathers on your arms....

Trying to fish with no bait....but I think you get the idea.

There is no magic in the computer business...for 249 you are getting a
machine that will just frustrate you...All computer parts cost the
same...never in any field has the internet so equalized the playing field.
You get what you pay for...that simple.

Now I might be wrong here and that machine you are looking at might have 2
gig of ram and a 250Gig hard drive and a 2 gig processor...but I doubt it.

If people could buy $300 dollar computers that would do the work of $700
units...they would.

Vista is a great operating system. It was hampered by the bad press it got
because Microsoft was forced to bring it to market saying it could be run on
1 Gig...it cant.  That is just the facts....jack.

I have been in the computer business for 25 years. I am an expert. I deal
with this every day.

For Vista you need at least 2gig of ram and at least a 2gig processor.

You will have to spend at least $500 dollars...closer to $700 for a decent
unit with a monitor.

Norton and Mcafee are not what they used to  be. Go to ESET.com and buy
their AV product. Best in the world at this time.

Yes....you can bring over viruses...I would scan the computer first with
ESET online scanner...make sure it is clean.

You can plug your external into the Vista unit you buy and it will be
recognized.'

You can only bring over data and not program files. They will have to be
reinstalled on the new computer. If you don't have the original disks or
they are old versions..you will have to buy new ones.

Saying all this...if you have waited this long to upgrade your old computer
and I see that you have by its configuration....you will not listen to me
and buy what you want.....and be frustrated and scream and yell that
Microsoft screwed you and Windows does not work.

Seen it too many times to count...and if I seem short on this...it is
because I get tired of people trying to cross the Atlantic in a row boat and
wondering why their arms are tired.

Regards

Tony V