Re: [Shop-talk] How to remove surface rust over entire car?

To: "'Mark Andy'" <mark@sccaprepared.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] How to remove surface rust over entire car?
From: "Ben Zwissler" <bjzwissler@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 16:59:23 -0400
For me it was entire body tub that had light rust - not flakes, mostly still
metal showing, but rust over the entire surface - from sitting in a garage
for years with no paint after soda blasting.  Not counting repairs, prepping
it and priming it was a few days work.  Someone mentiond the PPG DPLF primer
and that's what I used.  It won't rust with that on it if its indoors.   I
also used the Scotchbrite pads and went over the entire surface with the
conditioner (PPG DX579 Metal Cleaner "a multi-purpose phosphoric acid based
cleaner and prepaint conditioner".  Then just before priming, I went over it
again with DX520 Metal Conditioner that is also a "phosphoric acid based
coating chemical that will produce a zinc phosphate coating on galvanized or
steel surfaces."  Then applied the DPLF primer.  The whole process was
probably a total of 16 hours work spread over several days.

I'm sure any body shop could do this as well, as long as you don't mind the
$75/hour.  The cleaner/conditioner was around $30/quart and DPLF is very
dear, well over $100/qt with all the components.

Ben Zwissler
bjzwissler@comcast.net
Columbus, IN
1966 TR-4A IRS