Re: [Shop-talk] How to remove surface rust over entire car?

To: Karl Vacek <KVacek@Ameritech.net>, David Scheidt
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] How to remove surface rust over entire car?
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 11:34:01 -0700 (PDT)
I agree with the phosphoric acid approach, based on my
experience with that stuff.

And get lots of scotch-brite pads!

You can do a first pass with the pads and detergent,
to remove the loose flaky, dusty rust.

Afterwards paint it with 2-part epoxy primer like
PPG's DPLF, NOT regular automotive primer.  Most
rattle-can automotive primers are lacquer-based with a
lot of fillers like talc, and do not seal the surface
at all.  I'm sure you have seen a car with a hood or
fender that was stripped and given a coat of gray
rattle-can primer and then never properly finished,
and new rust is starting to come through it?

Doug