Re: [Shop-talk] Car suspension repair: Concern over heat effect on

To: <peteb@clear.net.nz>, "shop-talk List" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Car suspension repair: Concern over heat effect on
From: "Mark Watson" <watsonm05@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 16:20:33 -0400
Hi, there.  Neat problem.  What kind of car is it?  Any pictures?

If you look at this company's page:
http://www.flamespraydenver.com/Flame_Spray.aspx
you will see that they explicitly list this claim:  "Flame Spraying does not
produce distortion or affect temper of heat treated parts that other repair
methods cause."  Since brazing requires that you get the base metal cherry
red hot you would certainly be affecting the temper of the stabilizer bar.

I have a similar problem that I need to address.  The steering column groove
for my car has some pits in the surface.  It uses ball bearings between the
nut and the shaft and the bearings have a matte finish showing me that they
haven't been too happy rding over the pits.  As far as I can tell using the
metalizing spray is my best hoe since like you replacing the part seems
virtually impossible (1956 Daimler Regency Mk II '104' - about maybe 100
made and durn few surviving).

Good luck and please let us know what you end up doing so we can all learn
from your experiences.

Mark Watson