[Shop-talk] Car suspension repair: Concern over heat effect on

To: shop-talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Car suspension repair: Concern over heat effect on
From: Pete Bronlund <peteb@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 20:31:52 +1200
I'm needing to do a restoration repair on the front
suspension stabilizer bar from my car. One end has become
really (badly) rust pitted. I've been very lucky to have
sourced the last available 'peanut' shaped rubber bushes
that fit onto the bar ends. Inside the bush is a tough nylon
bearing. If i just put the damaged pitted steel end into the
bush we run the risk of the bush being flogged out within no
time i'm guessing.

I'm thinking, can i simply heat the pitted end (which i've
had soaking in EvapoRust to remove the corrosion with the
oxy-acyet torch and put some braze over it then once cooled
file it back to shape cylindrical. Of course i'm thinking
the metal in the bar *could* go brittle and break latter
which would not be good.

The problem is that the bar is pretty rare being as the car
is Italian....

I've posted this same question to another local Forum with
pictures to explain the problem:

http://tinyurl.com/6mh2c9

Does anyone have any ideas on this one? TIA Pete