Re: [Shop-talk] john deere lawn tractors?

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] john deere lawn tractors?
From: Bill Rabel <brabel@dlux.net>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 17:33:28 -0700
I just spent the weekend with my JD 38" mower. One feature that really
clicked when I bought it was that all the steering linkage is cad-
plated. Absolutely no rust in about eight years.

Unfortunately, one needs to check the oil more often than that -- I
replaced the engine last year.

Sunday, I was mowing and heard a 'bang', and the mowing function took
on a real can-full-of-rocks sound. The mowing got progressively worse
on the RH side blade, and I stopped and examined the machine.

The sheave and shaft driving the blade had come apart, and the sheave
was sawing its way through the shaft threads. Removal was a cinch. I
also discovered that the OTHER shaft assembly was extremely hot. The
bearings felt pretty lumpy. I guess I'll be buying two new shaft
assemblies tomorrow. Each of them has a grease zerk that is not
mentioned in the maintenance diagram (not that I've done any of that,
either.).

Bottom line is that the machine is hugely dependable, and tolerates
neglect like a big American car from the 50's. Great machine. I will
add a cupholder this season...

- Bill Rabel
   Anacortes, WA