Re: [Shop-talk] john deere lawn tractors?

To: <scott.hall@comcast.net>, "'Shop Talk List'"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] john deere lawn tractors?
From: "Bill Gingerich" <bill@gingerich.us>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 22:31:28 -0500
Scott,

Here's my take on JD and others.  I bought a used 1999 JD 345 from a Deere
dealer in 2005.  I had 3 acres of grass in southern Minnesota.  I paid $3200
for it.  It had about 600 hours on it when I bought it.  54" deck, power
steering, hydro drive, hydro deck lift, and PTO.  I added a 42" snow thrower
to the package later, for my 700 foot driveway.  In the 2 years I had it, it
never hiccupped.  I'd heard the same "professional vs. homeowner" argument
before, and I asked the JD dealer if it were true.  His response was than if
it's the same model number, it's the same tractor regardless of whether you
buy it from Home Depot or the Deere dealer.  He said what you get from the
Deere dealer is availability of higher end tractors that are heavier duty
and allow you to use additional accessories.  But an LT100 is an LT100,
regardless of where you buy it.  Since I hadn't bought my tractor yet, and
was just kicking tires, I saw no reason for him to lie to me.  I still could
have gone somewhere else at that point.  I ended up selling that tractor
when we moved to Oklahoma.

I now have about 2 acres of mowable lawn, and purchased a new 42" Sears
tractor in August of 2006 for about $1750.  I wanted a JD again, but
couldn't spare the extra cash at the time.  The Sears unit has worked
perfectly so far, but only has about 50 hours on it.  Hydro drive, manual
deck lift, no PS.  It does the job, but I'd take my old JD back any day.  It
was a much heavier duty tractor, and, while costing noticeably more, I feel
it was worth it.  Do I really need a JD?  No, what I have does the job.  Do
I really wish I had a JD?  Darn right!

If you can get the same model from HD or Lowes for less, go for it.

BillG
Newalla, OK