Re: [Shop-talk] car ramps

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] car ramps
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 15:25:20 -0400
At 10:31 AM 5/1/2008 -0700, ericm@lne.com wrote:

>Ive been thinking that I should get some ramps as it would be
>faster and easier to get cars up on them than to jack them up.
>
>What should I look for in ramps?  I'd be putting sporty cars
>(lowered Mistu Eclipse, VW R32, mazdaspeed3) and probably
>a VW Eurovan on them.

Eric,

Like others, I have a set gathering dust in the corner of my garage.
Good luck getting a lowered car up on them.  I had to put a
brick at the beginning of the ramp to get my 84 Accord, 89 & 95 Voyagers,
and 95 Taurus up on them.   Granted, my ramps are over
20 year old, maybe they and decreased the slope so the new cars
can get up on them.

One time I had my Morgan in the driveway, I was putting on of
my Voyager up to do an oil change.  Trying to climb the brick, the
voyager shot the brick out and down the driveway, just missing
the Morgan.  That's the last time I every used them.

Besides, the jack stands are lighter and easier to carry, and the jack
pushes easier that the ramps.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229