Re: [Shop-talk] car ramps

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] car ramps
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 14:10:38 -0500
ericm@lne.com wrote:

> I've been thinking that I should get some ramps as it would be
> faster and easier to get cars up on them than to jack them up.
>
> What should I look for in ramps?  I'd be putting sporty cars
> (lowered Mistu Eclipse, VW R32, mazdaspeed3) and probably
> a VW Eurovan on them.

Get a set of RhinoRamps (they make two versions - an 8,000 lb load, and
a 12,000 lb load version.  They are the same size, etc., just one is a
bit stronger - either will lift a normal car without any problems.

The RhinoRamps are great for lower/low cars - my spoiler on the front of
my Miata barely clears the ramp, any higher and it would hit.  But that
is one of the problems - the RhinoRamps only lift the car about 8 inches
or so.  Enough room to squeeze under, but not a whole lot of extra room.

One problem with the ramps is that if you try to drive the un-driven
wheels up, the ramps often slide away.  There are a couple of cures for
this.  One is to attach (or sit the ramp on top of) a length of old
carpet to the front of the ramp to give it extra traction so it won't
slip.  That works for most people.  Another very simple method is to tie
a strap to the hole at the front edge of the ramp and lay it down on the
car so that the tire rolls on top of the strap and keeps things in
place.  That will prevent the ramp from slipping and keep it in place as
you drive up on it.

I use the RhinoRamps for every oil change I do, it's really simple.  You
can find them on sale for around $30 all the time.  Most auto part
stores carry them, as well as Wal-Mart, etc.

The only thing that would make it easier, would be a drive on lift...
:)

Tim Mullen