Re: [Shop-talk] jack stands

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] jack stands
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:52:28 -0700
>  Here is a equivalent piece of propaganda but this time from Bend-Pak's
> point of view vs. Backyard Buddy.
>
> http://www.metro-lifts.com/backyardbuddy_BendPak_compare.pdf

Fun reading.

I've got a Bend-Pak HD-9ST, it's been in use for about four months now.
  Whole new approach to life...wanna do a trans and diff oil change
before dinner?  Trivial.  Muffler hanger coming loose?  Drop the
exhaust, weld it under the car, push it back up.

There's the old two-vs-four-post argument, but I needed it as much for
parking as for wrenching.

Comments on Bend-Pak's design - overall I don't see a lot to gripe
about.  I'm about to replace their flaky little coiled-plastic air hose
that runs from the motor/valve to the ramp plumbing with something
that'll run along with the hydraulic hoses.  The hoses tend to snag on
the hydraulic reservoir during lifting if you don't watch what you're
doing, when I do the air hose I'll add a little spring and a sleeve to
keep the hydraulic hoses away from the reservoir.  And it doesn't look
like the cable-sheave axles in the cross-beams can be greased without
tearing the whole lift down and pulling out the axles.

Biggest gripe is that the end brackets on the cross-beams that house all
the lock hardware are bulky, and stick up above the ramps - kind of a
sidewall-shaving knife, and it's too easy to tear up a tire or wheel on
the edge.  I've now got a gouge in the M5's right front tire and I have
to issue the spouse an apology for grumbling about her curbing the
freshly-refinished wheel in one of the other cars when it appears it was
really my doing.  So you need to hang your head out the window and make
very sure of what you're doing as you drive up; I've got some metal cut
to make up some angled guards for those corners but haven't done so yet.

Mine isn't presently bolted down; I'll put some inserts in the floor and
anchor it eventually, once I'm absolutely sure of where I want it.

John.