Re: [Shop-talk] saving a circuit board after flooding?

To: <scott.hall@comcast.net>, "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] saving a circuit board after flooding?
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 17:47:25 -0600
I'm like Paul... if it's a brand name... Fluke, Triplet, Simpson I'd try to
salvage it.  Remove the battery and fuse and clean the contacts.  I'd spray
down the complete board and the switch contacts with aerosol contact cleaner
till it was dripping off.   Then I'd take a q-tip or foam tipped applicator
and wipe over everything I could reach with the same contact cleaner... wipe
down the circuit board, especially between traces and at solder points to
eliminate all the traces of corrosion I could reach.

You didn't say if it was analog or digital, but I'll assume digital.  You
might not be able to salvage the readout but it's worth a try.  Set the
whole thing out on the bench and let a fan blow across it for a day or two
to speed drying.  You might even put it over a furnace register to add a
little heat (but not enough to hurt it).   give it a week and replace
battery/fuses.  and give it a try...All it will cost you is a can of cleaner
and a little time.

If it works and continues too... go back inside in a month and look around
with a magnifier and see if you spot any white areas of corrosion coming
up... clean her again.  I'd pay particular attention to the switch plates
and contacts, they get the most friction wear and will probably show the
corrosion first...

If it came from Harbor Freight... save the leads and trash the meter.

Free your heart from hate.
Free your mind from worry.
Live simple, give more, expect less