Re: [Shop-talk] GFCI Question

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] GFCI Question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 16:25:26 -0800
> It's worth pointing out that an external tester will not work
> on a GFCI that's connected to a two-wire circuit.

Sure it will, if you do the current balance test to an external ground (or
even between a protected neutral and an unprotected hot).  Checking the
ground/neutral short detection function should work too.

> That's allowed by code most places,

Legal or not, I don't like the idea of having a safety ground pin that
isn't.  IMO, sooner or later, someone will get killed by this setup and the
NEC will decide it's a bad idea.

I'd rather have no ground pin at all (which I believe is still allowed by
code in old construction tho not for remodel or new installations) than a
fake ground.

They used to allow aluminum wire in homes, too.

Randall