Re: [Shop-talk] GFCI Question

To: "Doug Braun" <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] GFCI Question
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 15:08:03 -0500
On Feb 2, 2008 2:53 PM, Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com> wrote:
> I like the build-your-own idea.  I have an older
> 3-light tester without the GFCI test function, and I
> have been too cheap to buy a new one just to get that
> additional functionality...

It's worth pointing out that an external tester will not work on a
GFCI that's connected to a two-wire circuit.  That's allowed by code
most places, and it's often used to get three pronged outlets in older
construction without having to run new circuits.  The testers work by
putting a leak (fancy ones let you set it) between hot and the safety
ground.  There's no safety ground in the GFCI connected to two wires.
The internal tester (which has to be functional; replace them if
they're not!) works differently.  It is not, as sometimes claimed,
just a mechanical tester.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com