Re: [Shop-talk] Air Compressors

To: "Paul Parkanzky" <parkanzky@gmail.com>, shop-talk
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air Compressors
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:51:38 -0800
At 05:45 PM  1/21/2008  -0500, Paul Parkanzky wrote:
>So I'm looking at compressors and narrowing my requirements.  It has to be
>oil lubricated, I like the 60 gallon vertical tanks because they're big
>enough to hold quite a bit of air, but don't take up a huge amount of my
>precious floor space, and I am leaning towards a two-stage pump because that
>gets you into the 175 PSI range (effectively increasing your air storage by
>1/3).

My requirements were similar to yours, only I already have a blast
cabinet.  I thought about a 2 stage unit, but wanted to keep the purchase
cost under $1000.  I ended up with a 60 gallon two cylinder CH unit from
Grizzly:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/60-Gallon-Air-Compressor/H7359

I'm pretty happy with it; it keeps up with my blast cabinet just fine and
seems very solid and reliable.  It's not horribly noisy, but it is still an
air compressor.  I plan to eventually move it from the shop to the pump
shed outside.

DC