Re: [Shop-talk] Leather Finish

To: "Mark" <mark@nashvilletn.org>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Leather Finish
From: "Gil Fuqua" <gil.fuqua@cci-ir.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 19:56:33 -0600
There is a trick used for new saddles to give them a more aged look.  Take
olive oil and apply it with a brush or your fingers.  It works better if you
heat it slightly in the microwave.  You might want to test a small area.

After the olive oil has soaked in, the leather will be much darker and richer
looking.  Initially, the leather will be very dark with the wet oil and will
lighten in color as the oil dries back.  The 'natural' oils in the olive oil
will not damage the leather and help to protect it from weathering.  More
coats of olive oil will help to deepen the color.  I would suggest you wait
several days after applying the oil to judge the final color since you need to
allow time for the oil to penetrate the leather and evaporate from the
surface.

If the olive oil does not result in the color you are after, then try staining
the leather before applying the oil.  You cannot easily stain the leather once
you have treated it with any oil products, whether olive oil or neat's-foot
oil.  Experiment with a small piece before completing the whole lot.

Gil Fuqua
Nashville