[Shop-talk] Leather Finish

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Leather Finish
From: "Mark" <mark@nashvilletn.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 18:54:16 -0600
I am in the process of making a set of leather straps to hold down a spare
tire.  I ordered some strips of leather from Tandy Leather and it arrived a
couple of days ago.  It is 1/8 thick and 1 1/4 wide and will work just fine
for my purpose.  It is a very light beige color which I assume is a natural
color.  Is there some sort of dressing or oil that I should use to make it
darker and protect it from the elements?  I seem to recall Neat's-Foot Oil
is something I would put on a new pair of hunting boots and my ball glove
many years ago.  How about just plain old shoe wax to give it some color?
You all can tell that I don't have a clue what I am doing.  I would like for
this to look like old "English" leather.

Please Humor Me!

Thanks,

Mark
Nashville